Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sound Walk

I feel that I owe a description at least for my soundwalk because it's literally impossible to upload the audio onto a website (or online at all, for that matter). The device I recorded the walks on is an old analog sound recorder with no computer interface, so it can only be heard on the recorder itself. I suppose a short description of the sound is in order:
I made two recordings, one of me walking on UPenn campus and one of me walking on Lancaster. Listening back, one can very distinctly tell the difference between the two just by the sounds heard on the recordings. Only the sounds of wind in the trees and distant cars passing could be heard in the UPenn recording, while the Lancaster recording contained numerous passing cars, street activity, and other loud surrounding noises. The striking differences between the two recordings shows the very staunch separation between sound environments even within the space of only a few blocks. It also helps to illustrate hard boundaries between neighborhoods, boundaries which perhaps completely divide the people within them from the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment